Followers

Sunday 4 February 2018

when is a door not a door...?


Hey, crafty friends, I’m back today to share another mixed media project with you. I had soooooo much fun altering the first journal cover I shared with you that I bought another one and have covered that one too.  I have now completely finished the first one doing the back very similar just  keeping it flat and adding some texture and colour to look like the front, but for this one, I’ve gone all out lol


Firstly I made the back yes I started back to front I saw the lovely Marta do a coaster size brick effect and thought it looked amazing so I thought maybe I can do something very similar to the back of this. So I got to thinking  I didn’t have any chipboard cut off’s like she did so I made my own taking 2 8x8” kraft card squares and sticking together to make thicker once dried I cut strips the cut brick shapes in the size I wanted then glued on using a gel medium.

Once dried  I added tissue paper to cover all the front making it more crumpled in some places than others I added this with so gesso. Once that had dried it was just left to paint it and that was the fun part, I used some patina paint I had brought from one of the craft fairs I went to and some acrylic paints I had in browns and black and just kept adding until I was happy then left to dry.


On to the front, again the lovely Marta gave me the inspiration for this is although hers is totally different to mine the idea is the same. I used the same card for as for the bricks (there was plenty left over) and cut a piece smaller than the book cover  then 4 smaller pieces to sit inside this and another 4 to sit on top of these plus a thin strip to go across the middle to hold the door knocker (which is an old earring). I covered everything in gesso then painted with the patina paint (it has the most amazing texture to it so gritty). I then glued it all down using wet glue and left to dry. While drying I got to making the trellis work I die cut a piece of card with a trellis die then cut this into 3 pieces 2 for the front of the door to like some sort of shutter, and another smaller one at the bottom to look like a trellis fence I painted them all the match then added some trailing buds and some roses to the fence before gluing to the cover.


To finish both pieces I just added some gilding wax to add a little shimmer.
Hope you like it and I will see you soon 


Challenges







https://mixedmediamc.blogspot.co.uk/ LOVE (this is made with love)


Happy Crafting
Jacki xx

8 comments:

Special Thoughts said...

Oh my goodness Jacki, how amazing. Full of lovely texture, great co!ours, fab design, its just brilliant. I am in awe of your wonderful talent. You have certainly gone all out with this one. I love it.
Love Sandra xx

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at More Mixed Media. Hope to see you again next time.

Judy McKay said...

Beautiful art journal cover. Gorgeous details. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Judy DT

Sheryl said...

Wow Jacki this is just amazing. I love that background!
Thanks for stopping by at 613 Avenue Create.
Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Jacki, what Super work and excellent results you achieved with all the "play" things.
Faith
x

~ginny said...

Hey Jacki - thank you so much for sharing your project and creativity at 613! What a great altered art project! LOve the bricks and LOve the patina on the door! Very cool indeed!
~ginny, DT for 613 Ave C
RubberMAD (GettyCollection.com)

Margaret said...

Such a gorgeous and creative mixed media project. Thanks for joining us at International Art & Soul. Good luck. Maggie, DT

olushka-design.blogspot.com said...

Great project! Thank you for joining us at Mixed Media Place challenge!